Friday 30 August 2013

Bling, bling with extra bling

When abroad I´ve taken it to a habit to spend an evening at the cinema. A couple of months ago we did just that - the cause of the visit was the new Sofia Coppola movie The Bling Ring (2013). As always, Coppola has made a real treat for the eyes - fantastic visual candy combined with a splendid soundtrack - just perfect for those hot summer days. But the storyline - unbelievable and off the charts disturbing. 

I was sick to my stomach walking out of there. Seeing how those teenagers acted, how they reasoned with their actions, how they floundered in other peoples wealth was disturbing. But what was more disturbing was that I indeed could understand why and how they ended up doing what they did. No big deal. Would anyone miss that Balenciaga bracelet amongst the other ten Balenciaga bracelets? Or that Givenchy dress way back in the closet from three seasons ago? 
Those images of jewelry, accessories, bags and expensive shoes just laying around in piles got the best of me after 1 hour and 30 minutes. I was nauseous. 

It didn't get better. As we got out from the cinema we entered the exquisite world of the Bling Bling. The cinema was located on the top floor of this huge, shiny, shopping mall. It was ten o'clock in the evening and people were still spending their money - buying the newest attire, the coolest watch, the biggest earrings. There we stood, feeling depressed, with no hope for the future generations. I bowed my head done and a pair of newly acquired sandals covered with tiny sparkling stones caught my eyes. Enclosed was a row of ten beautifully manicured red toe nails. With that came a heavy, big necklace consisting of a dozen different stones and pearls. And it was all worn by me. 

Translation: Soundtracket till Sofia Coppolas nya film The Bling Ring är fantastiskt. Det är bara att dra på på högsta volym och njuta av sommarens sista soliga dagar.

No comments:

Post a Comment