Sunday 19 October 2014

No sugar for the monkey

Spent the night with a fun gang of people at Twinpigs Neukölln - where masters of drink making have their operation.

Yikes. We sat from 10am until 7pm listening to the presentations of all the courses, studios and projects that are available to choose from this Winter semester… all oral presentations… all in German… nothing to be found on the grand Internet or on a trustworthy piece of paper... oh how my head hurt at the end of that day. The key for us students from abroad is to find courses, seminars, projects that fit the programs back home, we also need to have the same amount of credits at the end of the term as we would have had back home. Here in Berlin though, they do not give a rats as about that and all their courses and seminars have way less amount of credits that we are used to. This all means that we, to get enough credit, need to take a lot, lot of different courses. After a bit of smooth talking though they were more than willing to raise the amount of credits given in each course. So I guess we are saved. We had to choose the studios we intended to be in right there and then after hearing the presentations - not much to analyse or proscratinate, just pick the one that seemed right enough. We had to rank three studios that we could consider being involved in. I got my second choice - which was very disappointing. I mean not getting my first choice - epic fail. At least at first. My second choice of studio was not and is not a bad choice - far from it. I really think I'll have fun there, in Mr. Sauerbruchs studio. This term we are going to have cooking classes together. While the other studio is off to France for a week

That day I also got my Mensa card and ate at the Mensa student cafeteria for the first time - awful food, but nice place. It was the first time I see anything automized in this country. You actually received a card there on site, which you then filled with money at an ATM-sort-of-thing. Then when you picked your food, choosing from a vast range of different things, you get up to the cashier and place your card on a thingy, without the need of speaking or greeting anyone, and you food is payed. Voila! 

Took the U-bahn home after that. Ahh this U-bahn. Filled with people. Live music for one stop. Street musicians always hop on for one stop. Always performing the same songs - First Hit the road Jack - which I would like to say to them as well and then Ai se eu te pego… although I am fed up, I see how the tourists immediately shine up when the see the show and a large smile awakens in their faces. At least they think its nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment