Friday 10 October 2014

I´m walking, I´m walking, I´m walking


I spend the upcoming days walking around alone, strolling around alone, sauntering around alone. I am alone, in Berlin. L is working late hours and school has not yet started, so the sum of it all is me being alone. Oh the irony. I have always told myself - one day, one day when I have the time I will spend my days writing, writing, writing. Now that I do have time I instead acquaintance myself with Lidl, Penny and the shopping mall down the road - ploughing through them for food and drinks. Summer is in town so people are horizontally scattered in parks, including myself - until a strange dude places himself way to close to me, waiting. I am pretty sure he wants to rob me of something. But since I do not have something, he stands up and continues down the road.  

As I walk towards Wedding for the very first time, thinking it is just a working-class neighborhood  (it was known as "Red Wedding" for its largely Communist working class after the World War I) I suddenly pass the famous Mauerpark - apparently not at all far from where I live - and, further down the road, I stumble upon the wall(!!) The Wall! There it is - die Mauer - and I just happened to pass by it. I have been totally obsessed with the Berlin Wall since 1961 (minus some 35 years) and was mentally preparing myself for a day long excursion of me finally meeting it. And then I just head down the road, without a map, and am suddenly confronted with this concrete wall, DDR and its history. Bernauer Strasse is on my way to Wedding. When the Berlin Wall was being built in August 1961, many who lived in these buildings frantically jumped from their windows before the buildings could be evacuated and their windows bricked up. 

Anyways, me and L end the weekend in Neukölln with a view of a sun soaked Berlin sitting on the rooftop of a parking house which houses the bar Klunkerkranich

No comments:

Post a Comment